navigation

Goodbye Grandma

My grandma

Remembering Yemi Lajo

The first time I met my grandmother was in May 1970. We had just arrived at the Sadipe’s from the United Kingdom. Yemi Lajo had been invited over from Ondo to look after Niran and I, as our mother had not made the trip with us.

Our grandmother, was very patient with Niran and I and look after our wellbeing excellently. Of course, she couldn’t understand a word we said and neither could we understand her! Somehow, we learned to communicate with one another, Niran and I also learned some Yoruba.

Over the years, we had a good relationship with grandma, she would visit us at Ikeja and stay for a few weeks, her sense of fun was infectious and she did love to dance.

On our visits to Ondo, she would also look after us and cook nice meals.

I had been absent from Nigeria for many years but when I found out that January 15th 2007 was her official birthday, I decided to break my self imposed exile and plan a trip in February 2007 to see her, perhaps, one last time.

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit with grandma, she could no longer remember who I was but all the same, she sang and danced and talked about what a big send off she would get when she passed on.

I am proud to have known Yemi Lajo. I pray that she is up there with God, singing and dancing.

Here’s to you grandma, sleep well and God bless you!

Lots of love
Ayodapo.

0 comments: